SubjectRe: mpparse_{32,64}.c merge questions

* Len Brown <lenb@kernel.org> wrote:

> > we dont, but please do _not_ "redesign" anything during unification.
> >
> > try to keep it simple and bisectable. Lots of small patches. Stupid
> > #ifdefs if need to be. Pick the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version
> > of any approach, if it's obvious that the unified version will still
> > work fine. Ask if in doubt.
>
> I agree with Ingo on the "keep it simple" merge steps..
>
> I can't resist mentioning, however, what I'd like to see long term.
>
> I'd like to see mpparse.o depend on CONFIG_MPS=y
> I'd like to be able to build CONFIG_ACPI=y and CONFIG_MPS=n
>
> Andy Grover prototyped splititing MPS from ACPI a while back, but it
> never made it upstream.

sure and agreed. And this absolutely has to happen in a separate
patchset. Unification is done best by not changing much and by delaying
any difficult change to as late in the unification effort as possible.
(thus any non-trivial change, if it breaks things and has to be
reverted, wont pull another 100 "easy" changes with itself)

Ingo

  Last update: 2008-03-12 08:07    [W:0.045 / U:0.172 seconds]