SubjectRe: How to compile kernel so it automatically reboots upon a crash instead of generating stack trace and then hang.

On Mar 11 2008 23:52, Prakhar Krishna wrote:

>[I did search the mailing lists archives and the Web but did not find an answer,
> apololgies if this is duplicate question]
>
>i need my linux box to automatically reboot if it ever runs into a
>kernel panic/crash etc.

panic=<timeout> boot parameter, as per
Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt.

>For my production evvironment, it is not desired that kernel generate the stack
>trace and then wait there. We want it to reboot and comeback up again.

Kernel panic is not the only problem one can run into; there are
also deadlocks-after-oops situations, in which case some sort of
watchdog is best for triggering reboots.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans