SubjectRe: Faster way to run through building single modules

On Feb 10 2008, Sam Ravnborg and Jan Engelhardt wrote:

>>>Fool kbuild to think this is an external module using:
>>>make M=`pwd` net/bridge/netfilter/ebtables.ko
>>>
>>>That should do the trick.
>>
>>How would I combine that with O=? Not quite doing the right thing yet.
>>
>>linux$ touch net/bridge/netfilter/ebtables.c
>>linux$ make O=/home/jengelh/Coding/linux-obj M=$PWD
>> net/bridge/netfilter/ebtables.ko
>
>O=tells where to find the kernel output files.
>We do not have a possibility to do so for external
>modules - so they will alwys build in same dir as the source.
>
>Bad luck :-(

I just noticed that with v2.6.25-rc3-302-g03923eb, running
make builds the final .ko really quick. Maybe there has been
some magic added that skips a lot of directories, but the
process certainly takes less than 120 seconds, so I am happy.

Previously, it seemed to have visited lots of directories
(even though we know make is not called recursively in 2.6)
before it printed "Building modules stage 2" for the first time.

Nice :)

  Last update: 2008-03-11 20:43    [W:1.790 / U:0.032 seconds]