    SubjectRe: [regression] 2.6.25-rc4 snd-es18xx broken on Alpha
    Bob Tracy wrote:
    > Supposedly with the ES1888, dma1 is for capture, dma2 is for
    > playback. dma2 == 5 is a 16-bit channel, yes? That could explain
    > much...
    > As for the values "chosen" for dma1 and dma2, they are the ones that
    > keep showing up in the Alpha sound "howto" postings/documents.

    Running 'show config' in SRM on my Alphas (PWS500au and XP1000) reveals
    the settings (except possibly for mpu_port) for the ESS1888 sound chip.
    I recall that they are as reported in Alpha sound howtos.

    I hadn't been using the ESS1888 for awhile, but have just tried it out
    since you reported problems. I am running kernel and Debian
    testing on the XP1000. I tried playing a number of wav files with
    alsa's aplay, sox's play and with mocp. I found that aplay and mocp
    worked reliably through the ESS1888. Sox's play on some files did play
    back a small extra segment of the file - particularly on short files and
    usually some section near the end of the file - once it had completed
    playing the file once; maybe this is what you are also observing. More
    onerously, my testing eventually ended in a complete system lock up!
    I ran play (or was it aplay - sorry can't remember now) and the system
    locked up. Got a response with ping across the network but couldn't log
    in via ssh. Have been playing mplayer through the ESS1888 for the last
    couple of days (don't like it though - the sound quality of the ESS1888
    is not good enough for my ears) and haven't had another one of those
    lockups since.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-03-10 09:53    [W:0.021 / U:12.068 seconds]