SubjectRe: [RFC] Sectionized printk data
Em Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 01:18:18AM +0100, Jan Engelhardt escreveu:

> On Feb 9 2008 21:54, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
> >> To drop strings that are only shown once anyway, such as:
> >>
> >> static int __init ebtables_init(void)
> >> {
> >> int ret;
> >>
> >> mutex_lock(&ebt_mutex);
> >> list_add(&ebt_standard_target.list, &ebt_targets);
> >> mutex_unlock(&ebt_mutex);
> >> if ((ret = nf_register_sockopt(&ebt_sockopts)) < 0)
> >> return ret;
> >>
> >> -> printk(KERN_INFO "Ebtables v2.0 registered\n");
> >> return 0;
> >> }

> >[...]
> >With a tool like this the advantage is that no source code has to be
> >changed, strings in __init functions are automagically moved to
> >.init.data, the disadvantage is that not all strings can be moved to
> >.init.data as there were (are?) subsystems that keep pointers to the
> >string passed and another tool would be involved in the build process.
>
> There is one corner case to consider:
>

> static char abc[] = "foo";
>
> int __init init_module(void)
> {
> printk(abc);
> }
>
> I am not sure if gcc/ld is smart enough to figure out that abc is
> only ever used from within an __init function and that it could hence
> be moved to __initdata.

The initstr tool mentioned doesn't touches this case, as it doesn't
searches specific functions such as printk, it looks for strings inside
__init marked functions. In the above example abc won't be marked as
__initdata.

So if there are two places where the same string is used, with one being
in a __init function one copy goes to .init.data and another to .data.

- Arnaldo

  Last update: 2008-02-10 01:29    [W:0.164 / U:0.312 seconds]