SubjectRe: Integration of SCST in the mainstream Linux kernel
Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Alan Cox wrote:
>
>>>better. So for example, I personally suspect that ATA-over-ethernet is way
>>>better than some crazy SCSI-over-TCP crap, but I'm biased for simple and
>>>low-level, and against those crazy SCSI people to begin with.
>>
>>Current ATAoE isn't. It can't support NCQ. A variant that did NCQ and IP
>>would probably trash iSCSI for latency if nothing else.
>

> AoE is truly a thing of beauty. It has a two/three page RFC (say no more!).
>
> But quite so... AoE is limited to MTU size, which really hurts. Can't
> really do tagged queueing, etc.
>

> iSCSI is way, way too complicated.

I fully agree. From one side, all that complexity is unavoidable for
case of multiple connections per session, but for the regular case of
one connection per session it must be a lot simpler.

And now think about iSER, which brings iSCSI on the whole new complexity
level ;)

> It's an Internet protocol designed
> by storage designers, what do you expect?
>
> For years I have been hoping that someone will invent a simple protocol
> (w/ strong auth) that can transit ATA and SCSI commands and responses.
> Heck, it would be almost trivial if the kernel had a TLS/SSL implementation.
>
> Jeff

  Last update: 2008-02-05 20:05    [W:0.283 / U:0.072 seconds]