    SubjectRe: Integration of SCST in the mainstream Linux kernel
    On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 11:44:31AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > Pure user-space solutions work, but tend to eventually be turned into
    > kernel-space if they are simple enough and really do have throughput and
    > latency considerations (eg nfsd), and aren't quite complex and crazy
    > enough to have a large impedance-matching problem even for basic IO stuff
    > (eg samba).
    > So just going by what has happened in the past, I'd assume that iSCSI
    > would eventually turn into "connecting/authentication in user space" with
    > "data transfers in kernel space". But only if it really does end up
    > mattering enough. We had a totally user-space NFS daemon for a long time,
    > and it was perfectly fine until people really started caring.

    I'd assumed the move was primarily because of the difficulty of getting
    correct semantics on a shared filesystem--if you're content with
    NFS-only access to your filesystem, then you can probably do everything
    in userspace, but once you start worrying about getting stable
    filehandles, consistent file locking, etc., from a real disk filesystem
    with local users, then you require much closer cooperation from the

    And I seem to recall being told that sort of thing was the motivation
    more than performance, but I wasn't there (and I haven't seen
    performance comparisons).

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-02-04 22:05    [W:0.020 / U:4.568 seconds]