SubjectCollectl now support monitoring Interrupts by CPU
In keeping with the spirit of adding new useful features when they help
solve real world problems, I've added this ability to collectl as a
direct result of a problem we were recently having when doing some
network performance testing. It turned out all the interrupts were
being processed by cpu0 (this was on an 8-core system) but all collectl
told us was the aggregate number! Once we moved to a NIC/driver that
supported multiple queues that could distribute interrupts to multiple
CPUs it only made sense to enhance collectl to let us verify that this
was indeed happening - I personally find examining /proc/interrupts for
changes more trouble than it's worth.

In any event, the following is an example of how collectl can present
this data, first summarized by CPU:

#Time Cpu0 Cpu1 Cpu2 Cpu3 Cpu4 Cpu5 Cpu6 Cpu7
12:49:55 4828 16K 1000 16K 18 16K 16K 0
12:49:56 4804 16K 1000 16K 0 16K 16K 0
12:49:57 4811 16K 1000 16K 18 16K 16K 0
12:49:58 4789 16K 1000 16K 0 17K 16K 44

and here by the type of the interrupt itself:

# INTERRUPT DETAILS
# Int Cpu0 Cpu1 Cpu2 Cpu3 Cpu4 Cpu5 Cpu6 Cpu7
Type Device(s)
12:48:50 082 0 0 0 7731 0 0 0
0 PCI-MSI-X eth2 (queue 0)
12:48:50 098 0 0 0 0 2037 0 0
0 PCI-MSI-X eth2 (queue 2)
12:48:50 122 0 0 2240 0 0 0 0
0 PCI-MSI-X eth2 (queue 5)
12:48:50 138 0 7084 0 0 0 0 0
0 PCI-MSI-X eth2 (queue 7)
12:48:50 154 0 0 0 0 0 7723 0
0 PCI-MSI-X eth3 (queue 0)
12:48:50 162 9082 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 PCI-MSI-X eth3 (queue 1)
12:48:50 178 0 0 0 0 0 0 8253
0 PCI-MSI-X eth3 (queue 3)
12:48:50 210 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
6417 PCI-MSI-X eth3 (queue 7)
12:48:50 218 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 PCI-MSI eth0

You can also look at all CPU loads and interrupts together like this:

# SINGLE CPU STATISTICS
# CPU USER NICE SYS WAIT IRQ SOFT STEAL IDLE INTRPT
07:09:28 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 100 16
07:09:28 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 100 0
07:09:28 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 100 999
07:09:28 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 100 16

For those not familiar with collectl, you can collect virtually
everything all the existing linux 'stat' utilitie provide plus a lot
more such as processes (including I/O stats), Infininband, Quadrics,
Slab, Lustre and more. Plus a lot more feature too numerous to list but
there's a pretty good summary here -
http://collectl.sourceforge.net/Features.html

But don't take my word for it, check out the website at
http://collectl.sourceforge.net/ where you can see a pretty good set of
examples in the documentation and even follow the tutorial.

-mark

  Last update: 2008-02-29 14:21    [W:0.052 / U:0.160 seconds]