    SubjectRe: [RFC/PATCH 0/4] CPUSET driven CPU isolation
    Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > * Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@chello.nl> wrote:
    >
    >> My vision on the direction we should take wrt cpu isolation.
    >>
    >> Next on the list would be figuring out a nice solution to the
    >> workqueue flush issue.
    >
    > nice work Peter, i find this "system sets" extension to cpusets a much
    > more elegant (and much more future-proof) solution than the proposed
    > spreadout of the limited hack of isolcpus/cpu_isolated_map. It
    > concentrates us on a single API and on a single mechanism to handle
    > isolation matters. (be that for clustering/supercomputing or real-time
    > purposes)
    Come on Ingo. You make it sounds like it's radically different solution.
    At the end of the day we have a bitmap that represents which CPUs can be used
    for the kernel stuff. How is that different ?
    I was saying all along that cpusets is a higher level API and was discussing
    or trying to discuss (people were ignoring my questions) ways to integrate it.

    > Thanks for insisting on using cpusets for this!
    >
    > i've queued up your patches in sched-devel.git, and lets make sure this
    > has no side-effects on existing functionality. (it shouldnt)
    Hmm, that was easy. Not a single ack. Even the core part is not complete yet.
    I pointed out several issues. Like the fact that it does not provide full
    isolation because it does not move timers, does not handle workqueues.
    I did not even get a chance to test this stuff properly and see if it actually
    solves the usecase I was solving with my patches.
    _Obviously_ we could not have taken my tested solution and evolved it in the
    direction people wanted to see it evolve, ie integration with the cpusets :(.

    My main concern is that it introduces a whole new set of notifiers that
    perform similar functions to what CPU hotplut already does.

    Max

      Last update: 2008-02-28 18:51    [W:8.961 / U:0.008 seconds]