    From: Zan Lynx [mailto:zlynx@acm.org]
    Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 5:04 AM
    To: Nikola Ciprich
    Cc: Andrew Morton; linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org; linux-scsi@vger.kernel.org;
    Nick Cheng; Erich Chen; kopi@linuxbox.cz
    Subject: Re: arcmsr & areca-1660 - strange behaviour under heavy load

    On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 20:29 +0100, Nikola Ciprich wrote:
    > Hi Andrew,
    > no, right now I have the machine in the weird state, swap is empty (3GB),
    > and so is bigger part of RAM (~100MB free), and the gcc crashes even when
    > trying to compile c program with empty main function. so it doesn't seem
    > to be problem with memory exhaustion.

    Maybe memory fragmentation? Perhaps the driver tries to allocate a
    large block of memory and cannot find a continuous block of the right
    size.

    Maybe the driver developers used different kernel .config options than
    you are using.

    Try increasing the value in /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes.

    Try switching some things like SLAB or SLUB, try booting with
    kernelcore=512M to enable the Movable memory zone, or try 64-bit vs
    32-bit kernels.
    --
    Zan Lynx <zlynx@acm.org>

      Last update: 2008-02-27 02:57    [W:0.023 / U:150.884 seconds]