    SubjectRe: [patch 3/6] mempolicy: add MPOL_F_STATIC_NODES flag
    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Paul Jackson wrote:

    > > return do_mbind(start, len, mode, mode_flags, &nodes, flags);
    > The intermingling of 'flags', 'mode' and 'mode_flags' to refer to the
    > low bits, the high bits or all the bits of the flags field is handled
    > fairly carefully in your patch, but can still be a bit difficult to
    > keep track of which is which when reading.
    > I'll wager not many readers can immediately say what the 'mode',
    > 'mode_flags' and 'flags' refer to, in the above code snippet, for
    > example.
    > Do you have any suggestions on how to further improve the clarity of
    > this code?

    This is a natural implementation detail to accomodate your insistance that
    the mode and flags be passed as separate actuals throughout many of the
    mm/mempolicy.c functions.

    No reader is going to understand immediately what 'mode', 'mode_flags',
    and 'flags' are if you only provide a single line of the code like that.

    It becomes rather obvious what they represent when you read the entire
    sys_mbind() implementation, which is serving a syscall that provides its
    own formal for passing flags. The name 'mode_flags' is exactly what it
    is: flags for the mempolicy mode.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-02-26 22:05    [W:0.021 / U:6.968 seconds]