SubjectRe: 2.6.25-rc2 regression in rt61pci wireless driver
Hi,

> > > OK, we seem to be struggling a little, so I've built an installed git
> > > and cloned Linus' 2.6 tree. My wireless network dies after a few pings
> > > with rt2x00 2.0.11.

> > > If you need me to bisect, just shout. Please be patient though, I'm
> > > exploring new territory here :-)
> >
> > I don't think bisecting this will help a lot, the rt2x00 2.0.11 release
> > introduced software diversity. And that is already something I suspect
> > of being broken.
> >
> I've bisected anyway and although the results are not absolutely conclusive,
> as I neared the end of the process, I was amongst a bunch of mac80211
> patches. This set me on a path that resulted in me discovering that with the
> rt61pci driver, I can freeze my wireless network connection almost at will if
> I set mac82011's ieee80211_default_rc_algo parameter to 'pid'. if the
> parametre is set to 'simple', the network seems to be reliable. I've just let
> the ping application run on and ping another box on my network almost 1500
> times whilst repeatedly transferring a kernel source tarball by ftp from
> another box and the network connection was mantained That's with the
> parameter set to 'simple', if \I set it to 'pid' the connection rarely
> survives more than 40 pings even without the ftp activity.
>
> If I replace my wireless card with one that uses the rtl8180 driver, the
> network connection seems to be reliable regardless of how I set the
> parameter, although I admit that i have not tested this extensively yet. I'll
> do that now and report later.

I'm about to send 4 patches to this (linux-wireless) list with patches
for rt2x00,
most of them you already tested individually, but several people reported
success after those patches.

Hopefully it will be working for you as well. :)

Ivo

  Last update: 2008-02-25 23:13    [W:0.061 / U:0.344 seconds]