SubjectRe: 2.6.25-rc2 System no longer powers off after suspend-to-disk. Screen becomes green.
Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Friday, 22 of February 2008, Mark Lord wrote:
>> david@lang.hm wrote:
>> ..
>>> I've been watching for kexec hibernate for a little while now, and the
>>> last I saw was that acpi was incompatible with the kexec hibernate (but
>>> the suspend folks were still claiming that devices needed to be put in
>>> the 'right mode' not just powered off. I've been waiting to see this
>>> resolved.
>> ..
>>
>> Yeah, exactly. What's so special about poweroff on hibernation?
>> Why even bother with the special "S4" state there?
>
> (1) To be able to wake up with the help of devices that can't wake
> the system up from S5 (power off)
> (2) To handle some platform devices appropriately over the cycle
..

That's the theory. I've read about it, but have yet to imagine
any real-life situation where it applies.

But this isn't my speciality, so.. do you have experience with any real examples?

Thanks!

>> I want a real full poweroff, or at least I think I do. Why wouldn't I?
>>
>> ????
>
> You may want that, some people may not want it.
>
> We are supposed to handle S4, the BIOS/platform may expect us to do that, so
> IMO this is a good enough reason to do it. Especially that we can.
>
> Thanks,
> Rafael

  Last update: 2008-02-22 18:35    [W:0.095 / U:0.164 seconds]