SubjectRe: [git patches] net driver fixes
From
From: "J. Bruce Fields" <bfields@fieldses.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 17:25:30 -0500

> The advantages include earlier warning of merge problems, and avoidance
> of duplicate commits--if Jeff's done work that depends on patches that
> already upstream, then he either does that work against upstream, or
> includes backported patches in the branch he asks you to pull, and you
> end up with both the original and the backported patch. Which isn't the
> end of the world, but the resulting history seems messier than
> necessary.
>
> Or I guess you could both wait to do this merge until you're ready to
> pull in Linus's latest?

I do a test pull and build of net-2.6 into Linus's current tree
before I send Linus a pull request.

If any non-trivial merges are necessary, which hasn't happened yet at
all, I would then do a merge into my net-2.6 tree and resolve the
conflicts.

There is no reason for someone downstream of net-2.6 to do this.

  Last update: 2008-02-20 23:59    [W:0.145 / U:0.404 seconds]