SubjectRe: Intel Core2Duo mobile - how does the VID get set?
Brian Morrison wrote:
> Pallipadi, Venkatesh wrote:
>
>>> After a fair bit of Googling and reading around, I'm none the wiser
>>> about exactly how Linux 2.6.x sets the processor VID (or for that
>>> matter how it decides the FID settings) when using the ondemand
>>> governor and cpufreq stuff.
>>>
>>> Can anyone tell me a) whether this is obtained from the BIOS,
>>> something in the MSR of the processor or elsewhere and
>>
>> Yes. The freq and voltage supported comes from the platform BIOS. BIOS
>> exports this in an ACPI table which is handled by acpi-cpufreq driver in
>> Linux kernel.
>>

> OK, thanks for that.
>

>>> b) whether there is an interface in /proc or /sys where one can find
>>> out what is set and modify it?
>>
>> There is no way of modifying and using new VIDs etc in Linux kernel
>> (other than exporting your own DSDT and hacking the related code).
>
> Is there a way of viewing the ACPI table contents relating to the VIDs
> and FIDs?

Viewing the decompiled ACPI DSDT may provide some hints, however the
kernel itself knows nothing about VID/FID settings for acpi-cpufreq,
basically the kernel writes to magic ACPI registers and the BIOS or
hardware take over to do what's required..

  Last update: 2008-02-20 00:55    [W:0.026 / U:0.072 seconds]