SubjectRe: hid device not claimed but /dev/input/event exists
Jiri Kosina wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2008, Tomas Carnecky wrote:
>
>> The device apparently has four 'interfaces' - whatever that is, see [1].
>> It seems like usbhid probes interface 2 (which is the LCD plus a few
>> buttons, probably the four just under the LCD, as described [1]).
>> Because usbhid doesn't know how to handle the buttons, it fails. But
>> then it probes interface 3 which is a 'proper' HID device with
>> well-defined buttons.
>
> Yes, the dump clearly shows that.
>
> Does anything appear in dmesg when you press those buttons? There should
> be messages resembling the one you already have there:
>
> drivers/hid/hid-core.c: report (size 8) (unnumbered)
> drivers/hid/hid-core.c: report 0 (size 8) = 00 00 28 00 00 00 00 00
>
> and they should react to keys such as FastForward, Play, Mute, Volume Up,
> etc.

Nothing. Not even after I removed the alsa-usb-audio driver. All I see
is Keyboard.*, but the events from the speaker should be Key.*, right?

It looks like the speaker goes into a different mode once the USB cable
is plugged in. Without the USB cable, the Z-10 acts as simple/dumb
speaker, the volume up/down buttons change the internal volume, and I
see that on the display, too. The play/next/prev song buttons don't do
anything, which is quite obvious.
But once the USB cable is plugged in, the volume up/down buttons stop
reacting. I assume they are now meant to send events to the computer so
that some software can decide what to do. But features that are not
useful for the computer (bass/treble), can still be controlled using the
buttons on the speaker. The buttons are not dead. I can see that because
the display goes to sleep after a few seconds of inactivity, and when I
press the volume buttons, it wakes up and displays the current volume.
So the speaker is definitely seeing that the buttons are being pressed.

Is there a USB packet inspector/dumper, like libpcap for network?

tom

  Last update: 2008-02-19 19:15    [W:0.060 / U:0.028 seconds]