SubjectRe: linux-next: first tree
Hi Stephen:

* Stephen Rothwell <> [2008-02-15 00:35:37 +1100]:
> I have created the first cut of the linux-next tree at
> git://
> Things to know about this tree:
> It has two branches - master and stable. Stable is currently just Linus'
> tree and will never rebase. Master will rebase on an almost daily basis
> (maybe slower at the start).
> The tree consists of subsystem git and quilt trees. Currently, the quilt
> trees are integrated by importing them into appropriately based git
> branches and then merging those branches. This has the advantage that
> any conflict resolution will onlt have to happen once at the merge point
> rather than, possibly, sevveral times during the series. However, I am
> considering just applying the quilt trees on top of the current tree
> to get a result more like Linus' tree - we will see. The git trees are
> obviously just merged.
> Between each merge, the tree was built with both an allmodconfig for both
> powerpc and x86_64.
> The tree currently contains:
> Greg's driver-core, pci and usb quilt series (in that order)
> Alasdair Kergon's device-mapper quilt tree
> Jiri Kosina's hid git tree
> Jean Delvare's i2c quilt tree
> Randy Dunlap's kernel-doc quilt tree
> Haavard Skinnemoen's avr32 git tree
> There was only one unresolved conflict which could have been caused
> because I was not sure where to base the kernel-doc tree.
> So, comments, please.
> Also, more trees please ... :-)

You can add the hwmon testing tree (from MAINTAINERS):

> git testing

This tree gets rebased pretty much whenever Linus adds a new tag. As a
rule of thumb, you should merge from Jean Delvare's i2c tree first. The
hwmon/testing tree does not usually depend on anything else.

Thanks & regards,

Mark M. Hoffman