SubjectRe: BTRFS partition usage...
David Miller wrote:
> From: Chris Mason <chris.mason@oracle.com>
> Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 09:08:59 -0500
>
>> I've had requests to move the super down to 64k to make room for
>> bootloaders, which may not matter for sparc, but I don't really plan
>> on different locations for different arches.
>
> The Sun disk label sits in the first 512 bytes and the boot loader
> block sits in the second 512 bytes.
>
> I think leaving even more space is a good idea for several reasons.

Yep. I chose 32K unused space in the prototype filesystem I wrote [1,
2.4 era]. I'm pretty sure I got that number from some other filesystem,
maybe even some NTFS incarnation. It's just good practice to avoid the
first and last "chunks" of a partition, FSVO chunk.

Jeff

[1] http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jgarzik/ibu/

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans