SubjectRe: Documentation about sysfs/procfs entries
On Feb 12, 2008 1:17 AM, Scott Lovenberg <scott.lovenberg@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 12, 2008 12:23 AM, Peter Teoh <htmldeveloper@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I was looking for documentation on the kstack_depth_to_print under /proc/sys/kernel, and I found it in Documentation/sysctl.txt (written by Rik).
> >
> > How about /proc/sys/net? or all other directories under /sys or /proc fs?
> >
> > Wouldn't it be useful to have a centralized store located in Documentation - properly structured, just a one-liner or two - on the reasons and explanations for each of these /proc or /sys parameters? And something to look for further details?
> >
> > Something of the following:
> >
> > |-- netfilter
> > | |-- nf_conntrack_buckets:your explanation here
> > | |-- nf_conntrack_checksum:your explanation here...
> > | |-- nf_conntrack_count
> > | |-- nf_conntrack_expect_max
> > | |-- nf_conntrack_generic_timeout
> > | |-- nf_conntrack_icmp_timeout
> > | |-- nf_conntrack_log_invalid
> > | |-- nf_conntrack_max
> > | |-- nf_conntrack_tcp_be_liberal
> > | |-- nf_conntrack_tcp_loose
> > | |-- nf_conntrack_tcp_max_retrans
> > | |-- nf_conntrack_tcp_timeout_close
> > | |-- nf_conntrack_tcp_timeout_close_wait
> > | |-- nf_conntrack_tcp_timeout_established
> > | |-- nf_conntrack_tcp_timeout_fin_wait
> > | |-- nf_conntrack_tcp_timeout_last_ack
> > | |-- nf_conntrack_tcp_timeout_max_retrans
> > | |-- nf_conntrack_tcp_timeout_syn_recv
> > | |-- nf_conntrack_tcp_timeout_syn_sent
> > | |-- nf_conntrack_tcp_timeout_time_wait
> > | |-- nf_conntrack_udp_timeout
> > | `-- nf_conntrack_udp_timeout_stream
> > |-- nf_conntrack_max
> > |-- token-ring
> > | `-- rif_timeout
> > `-- unix
> > `-- max_dgram_qlen
> >

> > Alternatively, we can write a script to extract out the partial explanations/details from existing source code, based on some coding convention/style structure, and further hand-modification from there. (given the dynamic nature of the kernel code, this may be preferred?)

I was looking for exactly this about 2 weeks ago; I needed to look up
the knobs for net and disk elevators, and had to jump all over the
place. I assumed that such a thing should exist, but I didn't find
it. I know I would personally benefit from this, and I'm sure many
others would, too.

  Last update: 2008-02-12 07:27    [W:0.031 / U:0.496 seconds]