    SubjectRe: Announce: Linux-next (Or Andrew's dream :-))

    On Tue, 12 Feb 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > In other words, I'm perfectly happy to be an a*hole and tell people that I
    > simply won't merge things that cause undue API churn at all, and that were
    > not thought out sufficiently.

    .. btw: I'd need to know this in advance. I usually don't see the problem
    until it's too late.

    And this is very much an area where "Linux-next" can help: if some
    subsystem causes problems in Linux-next for other maintainers, I really
    think it shouldn't just be a matter of "drop the git tree that didn't
    merge cleanly", but it should literally be a question of "maybe we should
    drop the _earlier_ git tree that caused the later one not to merge

    In other words, maybe things like core block layer changes or device model
    changes should be *last* in the merge-list (or if first, also be first to
    be dropped if they cause merge errors downstream!).

    That way, infrastructure changes that screw up others can only happen if
    the maintainer actively works with the others to make sure it works even
    before it would ever merge into Linux-next successfully.

    That may sound odd, but it actually matches what I personally believe in:
    we have more driver code and other "outlying" things than we have core
    things, and most of our problems come from that - so we should prioritize
    *those* things, not the "fundmantal core changes".

    So how about making that the default situation: drivers and other outliers
    merge first. If fundamental API changes happen, they merge last, and if
    their maintainers can't make it in time in the merge window, they just get

    That sure as hell would put the pain on API changes solidly where it

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-02-12 20:25    [W:0.026 / U:2.876 seconds]