    SubjectRe: BTRFS partition usage...
    Date
    On Tuesday 12 February 2008, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

    > >> Actually it seems this is only a problem with mkfs.btrfs, it clears
    > >> out the first 64 4K chunks of the disk for whatever reason.
    > >
    > >It is a good idea to remove supers from other filesystems. I also need to
    > > add zeroing at the end of the device as well.
    > >
    > >Looks like I misread the e2fs zeroing code. It zeros the whole external
    > > log device, and I assumed it also zero'd out the start of the main FS.
    > >
    > >So, if Btrfs starts zeroing at 1k, will that be acceptable for you?
    >
    > Something looks wrong here. Why would btrfs need to zero at all?
    > Superblock at 0, and done. Just like xfs.
    > (Yes, I had xfs on sparc before, so it's not like you NEED the
    > whitespace at the start of a partition.)

    I've had requests to move the super down to 64k to make room for bootloaders,
    which may not matter for sparc, but I don't really plan on different
    locations for different arches.

    4k aligned is important given that sector sizes are growing.

    -chris

      Last update: 2008-02-12 15:13    [W:0.023 / U:3.024 seconds]