    SubjectRe: [sample] mem_notify v6: usage example
    On Feb 10, 2008  01:46 +0900, KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:
    > > This really needs to be triggered via a generic kernel event in the
    > > final version - I picture glibc having a reservation API and having
    > > generic support for freeing such reservations.
    >
    > to be honest, I doubt idea of generic reservation framework.
    >
    > end up, we hope drop the application cache, not also dataless memory.
    > but, automatically drop mechanism only able to drop dataless memory.
    >
    > and, many application have own memory management subsystem.
    > I afraid to nobody use too complex framework.

    Having such notification handled by glibc to free up unused malloc (or
    any heap allocations) would be very useful, because even if a program
    does "free" there is no guarantee the memory is returned to the kernel.

    I think that having a generic reservation framework is too complex, but
    hiding the details of /dev/mem_notify from applications is desirable.
    A simple wrapper (possibly part of glibc) to return the poll fd, or set
    up the signal is enough.

    Cheers, Andreas
    --
    Andreas Dilger
    Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group

      Last update: 2008-02-11 19:33    [W:0.023 / U:2.552 seconds]