    SubjectRe: [sample] mem_notify v6: usage example
    On Feb 10, 2008  01:46 +0900, KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:
    > > This really needs to be triggered via a generic kernel event in the
    > > final version - I picture glibc having a reservation API and having
    > > generic support for freeing such reservations.
    > to be honest, I doubt idea of generic reservation framework.
    > end up, we hope drop the application cache, not also dataless memory.
    > but, automatically drop mechanism only able to drop dataless memory.
    > and, many application have own memory management subsystem.
    > I afraid to nobody use too complex framework.

    Having such notification handled by glibc to free up unused malloc (or
    any heap allocations) would be very useful, because even if a program
    does "free" there is no guarantee the memory is returned to the kernel.

    I think that having a generic reservation framework is too complex, but
    hiding the details of /dev/mem_notify from applications is desirable.
    A simple wrapper (possibly part of glibc) to return the poll fd, or set
    up the signal is enough.

    Cheers, Andreas
    Andreas Dilger
    Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
    Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-02-11 19:33    [W:0.019 / U:151.644 seconds]