    SubjectRe: [HW PROBLEM] Intel I7 MCE. Erratum or not?
    On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Andi Kleen <> wrote:
    >> I'm not sure but is it make sense if SMI causes an error and dropped MCE
    >> exception without clearing error record?
    > I wouldn't expect an SMI causing an internal cache machine check. That
    > really
    > looks more like something that comes out of the initialization code. But
    > I haven't see it on any Nehalem system so far.
    > Also it might be really some problem with this particular CPU.
    > -Andi
    If there's any test and/or anything else I can do to help tracking
    down what exactly causes the problem, just let me know. I've already
    done many cpu+memory intensive tests(in Linux for example a tbench
    with 256 threads and various kernel compilations) to see if the mce
    appears during normal working time of the cpus, but nothing happened.
    As I've already said in this thread, the mce appears only at a
    particular moment after reboot. So I have exactly 1 mce log after
    every reboot, always at [ 301.7320xx] and with mce=nobootlog no mce
    gets logged. Windows Vista never gave me the BSOD, not even while
    taking all the tests of 3D Mark Vantage(yes, even if I'm a grown up, I
    still like VGs). The fact that windows never crashed should mean that
    the mce was never triggered on that OS, could that be somewhat related
    to the other problem I talked about here, i.e. that I cannot reboot on
    Linux and I'm forced to halt the system everytime I want to reboot,
    while on windows I don't have any similar problem?

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-12-08 13:41    [W:0.020 / U:1.024 seconds]