    SubjectRe: Runaway loop with the current git.
    > > So we have a buggy modprobe...
    > Which nevertheless should not break boot process...

    Now you are talking complete crap. If init crashes what happens. If I
    have the wrong root fs listed what happens ?

    Gee it breaks. Early userspace actually does have to be correct.

    > should not hung. Detect recursion, do not allow more than 1-2-3
    > simultaneous modprobes, whatever, but do not say, that kernel behaves
    > that bad just because userspace is allowed to do that.

    Please read the code: that is what we do. That is *WHY* you got the
    runaway modprobe message. It was caught but despite that the broken
    initrd failed to recover. We've had that feature for years.

    > And what's the argument of being close to a release? Do you propose to
    > hide the head into the sand and point a finger to anyone else saying its
    > not a kernel's problem? If prerelease has a bug, it should be fixed, and
    > not hidden under the cover.

    Its an incredibly obscure corner case. It is not appropriate to totally
    trash years of kernel testing by panic re-ordering some init functions
    just before a release. You will undoubtedly harm more people than you'll

    > What about storing a small stack of recently requested device ids, and
    > if new request is about to ask one from that stack, return error? I can
    > cook up the patch tomorrow.

    That would be an interesting experiment for 2.6.29 however we do requests
    in lots of different formats so it might be a bit more complex. You could
    store the last few strings. However the existing runaway code caught it
    and will have resulted in the -ENXIO path occuring anyway so I don't see
    what your "change" will achieve.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-12-07 13:01    [W:0.059 / U:15.872 seconds]