SubjectRe: Runaway loop with the current git.
On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 19:31, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
>> > The loop is detected and terminated.
>>
>> No. Please back up what you are trying to talk about.
>
> Let me introduce you to.. drum roll.. the source code. Its a useful
> resource, why don't you use it for once.
>

> max_modprobes = min(max_threads/2, MAX_KMOD_CONCURRENT);
> atomic_inc(&kmod_concurrent);
> if (atomic_read(&kmod_concurrent) > max_modprobes) {
> /* We may be blaming an innocent here, but unlikely */
> if (kmod_loop_msg++ < 5)
> printk(KERN_ERR
> "request_module: runaway loop modprobe
> %s\n", module_name);
> atomic_dec(&kmod_concurrent);
> return -ENOMEM;
> }
>
> Happy now. Print it out, share it with friends, find someone who can read
> C if you are stuck.

It does not work, that's all. Reproduce the bug and look at it for yourself.

It's still a bug, regardless of all the childish stuff you wrap around it.

>> The boxes of the reporters hang! Read the bug! Please!
>
> They would still hang. As I repeatedly said for the benefit of two people
> who don't seem to be able to read source code, the loop is detected and
> terminated. So it already fails the open when it sees it has gotten five
> layers deep.
>
>> There is no cheap way out of the problem, it's a kernel bug, and we
>> will fix it - you may just delay it with your zero arguments.
>
> Oh I see. Allow me to explain your position in the words of some small
> children I know
>
> "ME!! ME!! ME!! ME!! ME!!"
>
> I don't care about your obscure corner-case non bug that in fact was a
> crypto bug combined with a modprobe bug and where the crypto bug is
> now fixed. I do care about not breaking existing users systems. The fact
> we do this is why Linux doesn't suck.

It's not obscure, it's obviously broken. And it currently sucks.

I have no idea why are you repeatedly, with completely wrong arguments
trying, to explain "hotplug" stuff to me. I maintain it by the way,
and I didn't see you involved here in the last years, so I guess you
miss the background to understand the problem.

Kay

  Last update: 2008-12-07 20:05    [W:0.078 / U:0.212 seconds]