SubjectRe: [HW PROBLEM] Intel I7 MCE. Erratum or not?
Giangiacomo Mariotti wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 9:58 PM, Robert Hancock <hancockr@shaw.ca> wrote:
>> Giangiacomo Mariotti wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>> Mcelog just logged on my new Intel I7 920 (on Linux 2.6.27.8) this :
>>> MCE 0
>>> HARDWARE ERROR. This is *NOT* a software problem!
>>> Please contact your hardware vendor
>>> CPU 0 BANK 6 MISC 202d ADDR ffeef740
>>> MCG status:
>>> MCi status:
>>> Error overflow
>>> Uncorrected error
>>> MCi_MISC register valid
>>> MCi_ADDR register valid
>>> Processor context corrupt
>>> MCA: Generic CACHE Level-2 Data-Write Error
>>> STATUS ee0000000100014a MCGSTATUS 0
>>>
>>> I'm reporting this here, because I found in the Intel I7 Technical
>>> Specification November 2008 update that something which seems very
>>> similar is in fact an erratum. So my question is : Is there any way
>>> for me to verify that my problem is due to one of those errata,instead
>>> of a broken hardware(if we don't want to consider all those errata as
>>> broken hardware)? I'm also reporting this because I thought it may be
>>> useful to signal that(if actually due to those errata) these problems
>>> actually occur, so it may be useful to find workarounds in the kernel
>>> to not scare to death poor Linux users!
>> Which erratum are you talking about? I don't see one in that document that
>> would match this case..
>>
> Well, the first one seems very similar, even if it talks about a dtlb
> error instead of cache error. But sure,being similar doesn't mean too
> much. Number 52 seems similar too. I guess I should just give up and
> admit that my hardware is broken!

The first one is just indicating that if a DTLB error occurs the
overflow bit may be set incorrectly. It's not a false error though. The
AAJ52 erratum would only occur immediately after powerup or wake from
sleep states.

  Last update: 2008-12-06 22:49    [W:0.062 / U:2.360 seconds]