    SubjectRe: [HW PROBLEM] Intel I7 MCE. Erratum or not?
    On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 9:58 PM, Robert Hancock <hancockr@shaw.ca> wrote:
    > Giangiacomo Mariotti wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi everyone,
    >> Mcelog just logged on my new Intel I7 920 (on Linux 2.6.27.8) this :
    >> MCE 0
    >> HARDWARE ERROR. This is *NOT* a software problem!
    >> Please contact your hardware vendor
    >> CPU 0 BANK 6 MISC 202d ADDR ffeef740
    >> MCG status:
    >> MCi status:
    >> Error overflow
    >> Uncorrected error
    >> MCi_MISC register valid
    >> MCi_ADDR register valid
    >> Processor context corrupt
    >> MCA: Generic CACHE Level-2 Data-Write Error
    >> STATUS ee0000000100014a MCGSTATUS 0
    >>
    >> I'm reporting this here, because I found in the Intel I7 Technical
    >> Specification November 2008 update that something which seems very
    >> similar is in fact an erratum. So my question is : Is there any way
    >> for me to verify that my problem is due to one of those errata,instead
    >> of a broken hardware(if we don't want to consider all those errata as
    >> broken hardware)? I'm also reporting this because I thought it may be
    >> useful to signal that(if actually due to those errata) these problems
    >> actually occur, so it may be useful to find workarounds in the kernel
    >> to not scare to death poor Linux users!
    >
    > Which erratum are you talking about? I don't see one in that document that
    > would match this case..

    Well, the first one seems very similar, even if it talks about a dtlb
    error instead of cache error. But sure,being similar doesn't mean too
    much. Number 52 seems similar too. I guess I should just give up and
    admit that my hardware is broken!

      Last update: 2008-12-06 22:45    [W:0.049 / U:56.628 seconds]