SubjectRe: Problems with fakephp
Date
Alex Chiang wrote:
> * Rolf Eike Beer <eike-kernel@sf-tec.de>:
> > Alex Chiang wrote:
> > > I think the way forward is:
> > >
> > > - merge in the function level hotplug patch
> >
> > Sorry that I don't get the point. To PCI Hotplug core or to fakephp?
>
> I was talking about Trent's patch to add the "remove" attribute
> to the pci-sysfs. Not fakephp.
>
> > > - wholesale replacement of fakephp with new fakephp
> > > - schedule new fakephp for deprecation
> >
> > ^^^
> >
> > I don't think so.
>
> If we get function level reset as part of the PCI core, then I
> don't see what fakephp offers us anymore.

Why add a new fakephp if you want to remove it right after that?

> > > - encourage anyone who wants function level hotplug to
> > > use the 'remove' attribute
> > >
> > > Thoughts? Jesse, Willy, Eike, Greg?
> >
> > Oh yes, let's start using dummyphp ;) That one already handled
> > the rescan long ago. But I think it's a bit outdated at the
> > moment, I haven't touched it for month. Looks like I need to
> > bring it back to live.
>
> I take it you are not impressed with my proposal? Care to explain why not?

It's a long fight between me and Greg about fakephp. I wrote dummyphp, fakephp
is a for of an early version of dummyphp that I never liked. So if anyone
comes up with "fakephp can not do $foobar" my first answer is "try dummyphp".
So if you want to remove fakephp I'm the first do support you *eg* Yes, this
probably is mostly personal taste and not so much technical, but I'm just
human ;)

Eike

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans