    SubjectRe: > I even didn't have a backtrace.
    2008/12/29 Sitsofe Wheeler <sitsofe@yahoo.com>:
    > Igor Podlesny wrote:
    >>
    >> BTW, I wonder -- can the kernel store crash related information (if
    >> any) in RAM, at certain addresses, so it can survive warm reboot and
    >> get displayed "in dmesg" on the next boot?
    >
    > Perhaps you are thinking of kdump - http://lwn.net/Articles/108595/ ?

    Similar, but no exactly. I just thought that unlikely BIOS erases
    memory content during "fast checks", so kernel diagnostic could be
    left at certain addresses, probably duplicated for safety, and newly
    booted kernel could check if there were something left for it in RAM.
    That's simpler than kdump/kexec, the question is only whether memory
    is really left intact during BIOS work, at least partly.

    --
    End of message. Next message?

      Last update: 2008-12-29 13:55    [W:0.022 / U:34.492 seconds]