SubjectRe: [BUG] kvm crashes in 2.6.28-rc6-00007-ged31348
On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 02:23:52PM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
> Luis Henriques wrote:

>>> Were you using some other virtualization product? Were you running
>>> suspend/resume?
>>>

>> No for both questions. However, I had compiled support for suspend (not sure if
>> this is what you mean by "running suspend/resume") - This is a feature I used
>> only once or twice...
>>

> The underlying problem is that an svm instruction has been executed, but
> svm is disabled. Since kvm enables svm unconditionally on all
> processors on startup, there are only a few paths that can potentially
> trigger this:
>
> - another virtualization module turned svm off
> - cpu hotadd/hotremove (suspend/resume triggers this)
> - something did a read-modify-write cycle on cr4 (which contains the svm
> enable bit) while kvm enabled that bit
> - core was turned off (does linux power management do that?)
>
> Anything ring a bell?

Ok, I am not sure but there is a possibility of having the vboxdrv driver
loaded. _But_ I was not using, i.e., I do not use VirtualBox. In my
attempts to reproduce the issue, I tried to load this module but, unfortunatly,
my distro has this package broken ATM (err... in fact, the problem is not the
distro but me - I am using an unstable version).

vboxdrv could be a problem if I was using it, but I believe it shouldn't cause
this if it is not being used... but it's just a guess.

--
Luis Henriques

  Last update: 2008-12-02 20:11    [W:0.066 / U:0.020 seconds]