SubjectRe: SD/MMC cards: how crappy they are?
Theodore Tso wrote:

> If this is your random eject out from your HP laptop problem, note
> that random ejects while the card is writing can cause corruption of
> the flash translation layer (FTL), which for some really crappy cards,
> can permanently damage them; hopefully most of those are gone from the
> market, but I wouldn't be positive about that. The better ones will
> have some kind of journalling scheme for their FTL...

I have seen flash cards die permanently from having a partition table it
didn't like written to it. Yes, the microcontroller on the flash card
tried to interpret the partition table, assumed to be MS-DOS style, and
would crash.

-hpa

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans