    SubjectRe: SD/MMC cards: how crappy they are?
    Theodore Tso wrote:

    > If this is your random eject out from your HP laptop problem, note
    > that random ejects while the card is writing can cause corruption of
    > the flash translation layer (FTL), which for some really crappy cards,
    > can permanently damage them; hopefully most of those are gone from the
    > market, but I wouldn't be positive about that. The better ones will
    > have some kind of journalling scheme for their FTL...

    I have seen flash cards die permanently from having a partition table it
    didn't like written to it. Yes, the microcontroller on the flash card
    tried to interpret the partition table, assumed to be MS-DOS style, and
    would crash.

    -hpa

      Last update: 2008-12-02 19:03    [W:0.035 / U:1.932 seconds]