    Subjectlosing a menuconfig session to a typo
    It's easy to accidentally lose a menuconfig session.  Scenarios start with a
    user being accustomed to hitting [right-arrow][return] to exit from a typical
    menu. Perhaps the user prefers his underutilized numeric keypad over adding to
    the beating [escape] takes. Scenarios finish with the user accidentally
    issuing [right-arrow][return] to "Do you wish to save? <Yes> <No>". I only
    lost a quick change, but it's easy to imagine how a few hours of menuconfig
    time might go away. "It'll just take a few minutes to whip my distro's kernel
    into shape." Yeah right. Four hours of guesswork and research later, you're
    tired, thinking about the make command to follow, [right-arrow][return] as
    usual, wait! no! damndamndamn!, yer snookered.

    There are a variety of simple ways to address this. First, change the menu.
    Swapping the order of the <Yes> and <No> would be begging for even more
    trouble. However, the <Yes>/<No> decision could be made a <Yes>/<Maybe>/<No>
    decision. This leaves <Yes>, the predominant choice, in place. <Maybe>, in
    the disputed position, could simply present the same menu. Someone might even
    have a little well-deserved fun with <Maybe> menus. This doesn't seem all that
    intrusive to me. Second, print the diff. When changes aren't saved, a diff of
    the original config and one that would've been saved could simply be written to
    stdout followed by a little blurb, "Those were the changes you didn't save.".
    Third, add a save command. I save at comfortable intervals when editing
    everything else, why not kernel configurations? This reduces the scope of
    lossage in general.

    Regards, [Ag] Andy Gaynor

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-12-15 22:15    [W:0.020 / U:1.780 seconds]