SubjectRe: [alsa-devel] [Question] Can I open a substream in kernel space without attach to a file pointer?
At Fri, 12 Dec 2008 16:49:30 +0800,
Bryan Wu wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:
> > At Thu, 11 Dec 2008 22:12:56 +0800,
> > Bryan Wu wrote:

> >> Yes, it's.
> >
> > Then another possibility is to create a sort of machine driver
> > communicates with ASoC codec driver instead of accessing to the
> > generic ALSA PCM core.
> >

> I hope this driver independents on low level ALSA card implementation.
> Because on some embedded machine, they don't use ASoC.
> And I want to push this driver to upstream mainline finally.

If you want to be really generic, the best is to create a driver that
tunnels the data stream to the user-space, and let user-space program
feeds back to the sound card driver. Doing this in a kernel is an
almost exact pain as user-space.

The efficiency and generic support don't always coexist...

> >> in struct snd_pcm_hw_params, I guess only fifo_size is useful for me
> >> to choose my buffer size, right?
> >
> > No, fifo_size is just a place holder, existing only for historical
> > reasons as now.
> >
> >> If the fifo_size == 1K, so how big is OK for my buffer size?
> >>
> >> The buffer size is so tricky here, I try to make my driver is
> >> independent with the lower card hardware.
> >> So I need to find a algorithm to choose the buffer size here.

> >> Exactly. And another question is whether is it possible using
> >> nonblocking writing in my driver?
> >
> > Why your driver needs to care about non-blocking write? Usually PCM
> > core stuff cares the writing mode and other tasks.
> >

> Currently, because this sound playback is not very smooth. I guess
> there some underrun when I write the USB audio data chuck to the card.
> So maybe we need 2 buffers as a pingpang buffer to do data buffering.
> You know, vfs_write() is blocking operation and before it returns we
> can not fill the buffer if you just have one buffer.

You can use snd_pcm_lib_write*() like PCM OSS emulation does instead
of vfs_write().

But, seriously, I recommend you to implement a simple driver first,
that is, behaving as a USB audio class driver and just bypasses the
input stream to the file read. Then, a user-space program can feed
the stream to any player program, such as aplay.

If this isn't efficient enough, then you can consider go to put the
tunneling stuff into the kernel driver.

Takashi

  Last update: 2008-12-12 10:11    [W:0.053 / U:0.084 seconds]