SubjectRe: "APIC error on CPU1: 00(40)" during resume (was: Regression from 2.6.26: Hibernation (possibly suspend) broken on Toshiba R500)

Ingo - who's the main apic person these days?

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008, Frans Pop wrote:

> On Wednesday 10 December 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 Dec 2008, Frans Pop wrote:
> > > Anybody interested in persuing this issue?

> > Well, the "too early" part is fixed with the PCI resume changes in
> > -next, and googling for "APIC error on CPU1: 00(40)" shows that it's
> > actually pretty common. Which is sad, but makes it somewhat less scary.
> >
> > The fact that it happens at resume for you (and not randomly) does
> > imply that we perhaps don't have a wonderful APIC wakeup sequence and
> > are doing something slightly wrong. But it likely isn't a big deal.
> >
> > Is that message new? If it is, maybe you can pinpoint roughly when it
> > started happening, and we could try guess which change triggered it.
>
> It's been there since 2.6.26.3, which was the first kernel I've run on
> this notebook.

Hmm. Our IO-APIC reprogramming looks pretty simple, and may well be
correct.

However, it looks like our _local_ APIC suspend/resume is a total piece of
sh*t. It's set up as a "system device" and has a single suspend/resume
buffer, but the local APIC is a per-CPU thing. We even have a comment
there (written by yours trule back in 2003!) that says:

* FIXME! This will be wrong if we ever support suspend on
* SMP! We'll need to do this as part of the CPU restore!

and back then suspend/resume on SMP was just a crazy notion, but now it's
obviously every-day reality.

So it looks like we don't reprogram the APIC -at-all- on secondary CPU's.

What am I missing?

Linus

  Last update: 2008-12-10 17:31    [W:0.172 / U:0.260 seconds]