SubjectRe: [RFC][RFT] memcg fix cgroup_mutex deadlock when cpuset reclaims memory
* Daisuke Nishimura <d-nishimura@mtf.biglobe.ne.jp> [2008-12-10 20:53:37]:

> On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 17:18:36 +0900
> KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 16:41:26 +0900
> > Daisuke Nishimura <nishimura@mxp.nes.nec.co.jp> wrote:

> > > Unfortunately, this patch doesn't seem enough.
> > >
> > > This patch can fix dead lock caused by "circular lock of cgroup_mutex",
> > > but cannot that of caused by "race between page reclaim and cpuset_attach(mpol_rebind_mm)".
> > >
> > > (The dead lock I fixed in memcg-avoid-dead-lock-caused-by-race-between-oom-and-cpuset_attach.patch
> > > was caused by "race between memcg's oom and mpol_rebind_mm, and was independent of hierarchy.)
> > >
> > > I attach logs I got in testing this patch.
> > >
> > Hmm, ok then, what you mention to is this race.
> > --
> > cgroup_lock()
> > -> cpuset_attach()
> > -> down_write(&mm->mmap_sem);
> >
> > down_read()
> > -> page fault
> > -> reclaim in memcg
> > -> cgroup_lock().
> > --
> > What this patch tries to fix is this recursive locks
> > --
> > cgroup_lock()
> > -> cpuset_attach()
> > -> cpuset_migrate_mm()
> > -> charge to migration
> > -> go to reclaim and meet cgroup_lock.
> > --
> >

> > Right ?
> >
> Yes.
> Thank you for explaining in detail.

Sorry, I don't understand the context, I am unable to figure out

1. How to reproduce the problem that Daisuke-San reported
2. Whether the patch is correct or causing more problems or needs more
stuff to completely fix the race.

--
Balbir

  Last update: 2008-12-10 14:09    [W:0.094 / U:0.696 seconds]