    SubjectRe: [git pull] scheduler updates

    On Sat, 8 Nov 2008, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

    > historically it was for early AMD cpus (K7, not sure if early K8 did
    > this) where 2 consecutive rdtsc's in the same codestream would get
    > reordered compared to eachother, so you could observe the tsc go
    > backwards...

    .. but this only happens with two _consecutive_ ones.

    The thing is, nobody sane does that in generic code. The scheduler wants
    to have cycles, yes, but two consecutive scheduler invocations will have
    spinlocks etc in between. That's true of _all_ sane uses of a TSC.

    I don't see that there is ever any reason to do the barriers for any
    normal case. And the cases where it does matter would actually be worth
    pointing out (ie making the barriers explicit in those cases, and those
    cases only).

    Doing it in get_cycles() and "forgetting about it" may sound like a simple
    solution, but it's likely wrong. For example, one of the few cases where
    we realy care about time going backwards is gettimeofday() - which uses
    tsc, but which also has tons of serializing instructions on its own.
    EXCEPT WHEN IT IS a vsyscall!

    But in that case, we don't even have the barrier, because we put it in the
    wrong function and 'forgot about it'. Of course, we may not need it
    (rdtscp maybe always serializes, I didn't check), but the point is, an
    explicit barrier is actually better than one that is hidden.

    So who _really_ needs it? And why not just do it there?

    Linus

      Last update: 2008-11-08 20:03    [W:0.020 / U:125.032 seconds]