SubjectRe: time for TCP ECN defaulting to on?
On Tue, 4 Nov 2008, Daniel J Blueman wrote:

> Is it time to enable TCP ECN per default and get the benefits, since
> router support has been around and known-about for really considerable
> time?

I think enabling ECN by default is a bad idea.

Looking at the largest core router vendor out there:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t8/feature/guide/ftwrdecn.html#wp1031751

ECN has to actually be turned on in the routers along the way, it's not
default behaviour. No ISP I know of does this, but I can do a poll of
other ISP engineers in case more information is wanted.

So the upside of enabling it is minimal (I'd gladly see data proving the
opposite) and the downside is a lot of trouble with lots of older devices
which behave badly when ECN is enabled.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson email: swmike@swm.pp.se

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans