    SubjectRe: time for TCP ECN defaulting to on?
    On Tue, 4 Nov 2008, Daniel J Blueman wrote:

    > Is it time to enable TCP ECN per default and get the benefits, since
    > router support has been around and known-about for really considerable
    > time?

    I think enabling ECN by default is a bad idea.

    Looking at the largest core router vendor out there:

    ECN has to actually be turned on in the routers along the way, it's not
    default behaviour. No ISP I know of does this, but I can do a poll of
    other ISP engineers in case more information is wanted.

    So the upside of enabling it is minimal (I'd gladly see data proving the
    opposite) and the downside is a lot of trouble with lots of older devices
    which behave badly when ECN is enabled.

    Mikael Abrahamsson email:

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-11-05 23:23    [W:0.020 / U:177.016 seconds]