    SubjectRe: [RFC 2.6.27 1/1] gpiolib: add support for batch set of pins
    On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 4:01 AM, Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org> wrote:
    > On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 12:51:27AM -0500, Jaya Kumar wrote:
    >> >
    >> > My expectation for this kind of mechanism was that systems who need
    >> > to craft another parallel bus out of GPIO pins would be doing this
    >> > with some system-specific utility functions.
    >> >
    >> > So my "is it generic enough" question is more at the level of "Are
    >> > there enough Linux systems that need this sort of thing to justify
    >> > generic support?". I happen not to have come across the need for
    >> > such ganged access from Linux (yet). Whereas I've yet to use non-x86
    >> > Linux systems that don't need to manipulate individual GPIO pins...
    >>
    >> I have come across the following scenarios where a bus set of gpio is useful:
    >> - Broadsheet E-Ink controller (uses 16-bit data bus over GPIO)
    >> framebuffer device (this patch is for this)
    >> - Apollo/Hecuba E-Ink controller (uses 8-bit data bus over GPIO)
    >> framebuffer device
    >> - 8-bit parallel IO matrix LCD controllers, such as the Samsung KS108,
    >> also Hitachi, etc
    >
    > We have such a system at work. And we need fast acces to the gpio pins
    > when updating the LCD.
    > I have not written/looked to deep at the code I just recall it was
    > a bit messy and not something I would be proud of submitting to any ML.
    >
    > Sam

    Okay. Please help me understand in case I misunderstood. Are you
    saying the code that I posted is too messy? To me, actually I am proud
    of it. :-) But if some parts look messy, I'm happy to work on
    improving it. I will need some advice though and please advise me on
    which parts look messy.

    Thanks,
    jaya

      Last update: 2008-11-28 00:45    [W:0.024 / U:149.788 seconds]