SubjectRe: [patch 05/24] perfmon: X86 generic code (x86)
Thomas,

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 2:32 PM, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Nov 2008, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>> Hi Andi,

>> > All these bitmap wrappers just seem like unnecessary obfuscation.
>> > Could you just drop them and call the standard functions directly?
>>
>> These were added after comments from the PowerPC maintainer since how the
>> bitmaps are accessed needs to be arch specific.
>
> Just because perfmon uses u64 for bitfields instead of unsigned
> long, therefor it breaks on BE32 machines.
>
> I have not yet found a good reason why it needs to use u64 instead of
> using what's there already.

There is a good reason why we cannot use unsigned long. We must make sure
all data structures exchanged between user mode and the kernel have fixed size.
This way, we can have a 32-bit tool run unmodified on top of a 64-bit kernel AND
we do not need trampoline code to marshall/unmarshall the parameters.

And yes, the abstraction for bitmask ops was introduced because of issues
casting u64 -> unsigned long on Big-Endian32-bit machines such as PPC32.

  Last update: 2008-11-26 14:59    [W:0.087 / U:16.644 seconds]