    SubjectStill some problems with the rt2x00 driver
    Date
    Hi again, Ivo, John and others.

    On Aug 04 2008, Ivo van Doorn wrote:
    > I have found the problem and have send it upstream so the patch
    > should be
    > present in 2.6.27.

    Well, it works ok (but see below) on powerpc, with a 2.6.27 kernel (I
    still have not upgraded it).

    There are two strange things that I've noticed, though and that I
    feel need to be fixed:

    1 - the rt63 driver used by a PCMCIA card DWL-G630 model has, for
    many kernels (from 2.6.24 and up to and including kernel 2.6.27, as
    shipped by Ubuntu for ia32), shown a strange behavior: after
    everything is working correctly, the network simply becomes
    unavailable, with the gnome network monitor showing that the card has
    no signal. If I issue the command "iwconfig ra0 ap any", for example,
    the card starts working again.

    (Actually, I put this on a cron job to be executed every minute, but
    even then, there are time windows where the card is not working). I'm
    not in front of the notebook (a very old Armada V300 that my parents
    are using for production), so I don't know if the card looses
    association with the Access Point or not. I can check that, if nobody
    else reported this problem yet.

    2 - the rt2500usb driver that I use on a very old iBook G3 (powerpc)
    also works fine and has a similar, but not identical behaviour: the
    DWL-G122 USB stick that I have works fine once associated and when it
    is transferring data. Once I leave the network unused for, say, 2
    minutes, the connection with the AP is dropped. Here, also, issuing
    "iwconfig wlan0 ap any" makes it work again.

    Notice the difference in both cases: with the PCMCIA/ia32 case, no
    matter if there is traffic on the network or not, the the connection
    is interrupted. With the USB/powerpc case, if there is traffic, the
    connection remains working fine.

    > Note that I am not going to push it to 2.6.26 since I don't know if
    > the
    > patch will cause problems in other parts of the driver.

    There's no problem. I can compile vanilla kernels from kernel.org
    without any problems.

    Thanks for your kind help, Rogério Brito.

    Projects: algorithms.berlios.de : lame.sf.net : vrms.alioth.debian.org--