SubjectRe: next-20081119: general protection fault: get_next_timer_interrupt()
On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 18:43 +0100, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> > > scsi0 : LSI SAS based MegaRAID driver
> > > Driver 'sd' needs updating - please use bus_type methods
> > > scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access ATA SAMSUNG HE160HJ 0-24 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
> > > ------------[ cut here ]------------
> > > WARNING: at lib/debugobjects.c:215 debug_print_object+0x4f/0x57()
> > > ODEBUG: free active object type: timer_list
> >
> > That's the cause for your boot crash. The scsi/blk code is freeing a
> > page which contains an active timer, so the timer code references gone
> > memory. You triggered it because DEBUG_PAGEALLOC unmaps the page when
> > it's freed.
> >
> > James, or other scsi experts please.
>
> Well, not sure. Most likely candidate is the new block timer code.
> What seems to be happening is that the queue is being released with
> either an outstanding request (refcounting problem) or ticking timer
> with no work (block timer problem). The way scanning works is that we
> create a request queue for each device we probe and then delete it again
> if nothing appears after the bus settle time. The argument against
> this is that it should show up on every scanned bus. However, these are
> getting rarer; I was just about to write that I hadn't seen it when I
> remembered that all my SCSI testing systems are currently running
> hotplug reporting busses (i.e. don't do scanning). However,
> fortunately, I've also booted voyager recently which does use parallel
> SCSI and doesn't see this either, so it could also be megaraid_sas
> specific.

Yeah, block could it be as well. Jens, Mike ?

One note about not seeing it: We have had such bugs before where the
page was freed but not touched and the timer survived w/o tripping the
system over. Alexander noticed because of DEBUG_PAGEALLOC and you can
also see it by enabling debugobjects, which will give you the nice
backtrace.

CONFIG_DEBUG_OBJECTS=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_OBJECTS_FREE=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_OBJECTS_TIMERS=Y

and add "debug_objects" to the kernel command line.

> Could you turn on SCSI logging so we can see the sequences. Probably
> since this is boot time, just enable all logging:
>
> echo 0xffffffff > /sys/module/scsi_mod/parameters/scsi_logging_level
>
> (kernel must be compiled with CONFIG_SCSI_LOGGING=y
>
> James

  Last update: 2008-11-24 20:33    [W:0.228 / U:0.044 seconds]