SubjectRe: RT sched: cpupri_vec lock contention with def_root_domain and no load balance
On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 04:18:29PM +0800, Li Zefan wrote:
> Max Krasnyansky wrote:
> >
> > Dimitri Sivanich wrote:
> >>
> >> Which is the way sched_load_balance is supposed to work. You need to set
> >> sched_load_balance=0 for all cpusets containing any cpu you want to disable
> >> balancing on, otherwise some balancing will happen.
> > It won't be much of a balancing in this case because this just one cpu per
> > domain.
> > In other words no that's not how it supposed to work. There is code in
> > cpu_attach_domain() that is supposed to remove redundant levels
> > (sd_degenerate() stuff). There is an explicit check in there for numcpus == 1.
> > btw The reason you got a different result that I did is because you have a
> > NUMA box where is mine is UMA. I was able to reproduce the problem though by
> > enabling multi-core scheduler. In which case I also get one redundant domain
> > level CPU, with a single CPU in it.
> > So we definitely need to fix this. I'll try to poke around tomorrow and figure
> > out why redundant level is not dropped.
> >

> You were not using latest kernel, were you?
>
> There was a bug in sd degenerate code, and it has already been fixed:
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/11/8/10

With the above patch added, we now see the results that Max is showing as far as individual root domains being created with a span of just their own cpu when sched_load_balance is turned off.

  Last update: 2008-11-24 16:13    [W:0.092 / U:0.100 seconds]