SubjectRe: poll: allow f_op->poll to sleep, take #3
On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, Tejun Heo wrote:

> Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >> And @sync might be useful depending on who's waking it up, so we
> >> either need to change the wake interface or give it an easier way to
> >> pass those parameters as received. The callback function isn't the
> >> right place to ignore those parameters. It simply doesn't know why
> >> the caller is passing them in or what they mean under the
> >> circumstances.
> >
> > We'll likely eliminate the 'sync' parameter from the scheduler. It's
> > not a flag that should be proliferated.
>
> But it's still being used in quite hot paths (pipe, splice, socket)
> and I don't really wanna mix up a change which can cause subtle
> scheduling related performance regression into this patch. How about
> using the dummy waitqueue hack for now and when removing the @sync
> param, switch it to one of wakeup APIs? I'll be happy to add big /*
> TODO */ comment in the function.

I was noticing that wake ups on the poll queues do not use sync=1, AFAICS.
So using wake_up_state() and ignoring 'sync' should be fine. And 'key' is
already ignored by default by default_wake_function().

- Davide

  Last update: 2008-11-24 06:01    [W:0.226 / U:0.276 seconds]