    SubjectRe: linux-next: rr tree build failure
    Date
    On Sunday 23 November 2008 03:59:52 Pete Zaitcev wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 22:41:32 -0800, Greg KH <gregkh@suse.de> wrote:
    > > > FYI, if Pete had discovered this __setup issue today, the correct fix
    > > > would be:
    > > > 1) core_param(nousb) for backwards compat.
    > > > 2) module_param(disable) for modern users who want module/in-built
    > > > symmetry (ie. boot cmdline "usbcore.disable", and "modprobe usbcore
    > > > disable")
    > >
    > > Is there a real reason why we need to change this at all?

    You're the only __module_param_call user outside moduleparam.h, and so an
    unrelated patch broke USB. :(

    > As far as I know, in Fedora "nousb" is never used as a module parameter.
    > It came about because interrupt tables are sometimes bad and once
    > a request_irq() is done in an HCD, there's an interrupt storm. So,
    > the "nousb" is mostly used in the SysLinux's command line, rarely
    > in the real command line, and never in /etc/modprobe.conf.
    > I'm adding Jeremy to cc: for confirmation.
    >
    > I think it would be good to try and drop "nousb" option in Fedora 11.
    > The conflict with "nousbstorage" would resolve itself too if we do.

    My original patch simply turned it into a core_param (ie. not valid as a
    module parameter). If this had existed in 2005, it would have been the right
    answer.

    If there's any chance of it actually breaking, let's leave it as a module
    parameter too (which is what the patch I sent does).

    Thanks,
    Rusty.

      Last update: 2008-11-24 05:13    [W:0.023 / U:30.480 seconds]