SubjectRe: Current state of CLONE_NEWUSER?
Quoting Eric W. Biederman (ebiederm@xmission.com):
> "Michael Kerrisk" <mtk.manpages@googlemail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi Eric,
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 8:41 PM, Eric W. Biederman
> > <ebiederm@xmission.com> wrote:

> >> This code is definitely still under development.
> >>
> >> When complete it should be able to create a new uid namespace,
> >> as an unprivileged user. Creating a new process with uid == gid == 0.
> >> Have a full set of caps. And have permission to do nothing on the system
> >> except read world readable files and write world writable files.
> >
> > Thanks for the info,
> >
> > So the error I described is expected?
>
> I don't think so. Serge?

I suspect you have the fair scheduler compiled in
(CONFIG_FAIR_GROUP_SCHED). So when you create a new user namespace, it
tries to create a new /sys/kernel/uids/0 (or thereabouts) directory
which sysfs refuses.

The fix for this was rolled in as the last patch in the rejected large
network namespace/sysfs rework. So we'll need another fix. I suspect
following the same path as we did for making network namespaces work is
the best path for now. (This being my last day of a week-long vacation
I won't be sending a patch today :)

-serge

  Last update: 2008-11-21 16:17    [W:0.046 / U:0.384 seconds]