SubjectRe: Question about TTY_DO_WRITE_WAKEUP

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008, Alan Cox wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 11:06:19 +0100 (CET)
> Thomas Pfaff <tpfaff@pcs.com> wrote:
>
> > I have written a program that reads and writes data to the serial uart using
> > async io.
> > Unfortunately it does not work properly because a SIGIO is never gerated when
> > output becomes possible, the reason is that TTY_DO_WRITE_WAKEUP is not set for
> > most of the tty drivers. After i set the bit in serial_core.c the program works
> > as expected.
> > Now i wonder why TTY_DO_WRITE_WAKEUP is almost always disabled ?
>
> Almost nobody uses SIGIO based I/O, especially on serial so I'm not
> actually suprised by this one. If you've got patches that fix it then
> please send them in.

Is the TTY_DO_WRITE_WAKEUP bit some kind of cruft that can be removed entirely
or should i generate a patch for serial devices only ?

Removing it seems to be cleaner to me but i am unsure if it will break some
other stuff.

  Last update: 2008-11-20 15:13    [W:0.103 / U:0.120 seconds]