SubjectRe: [patch 6/7] SDHCI: Check DMA for overruns at end of transfer
On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 00:05:08 +0000
Ben Dooks <ben-linux@fluff.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 11:00:26PM +0100, Pierre Ossman wrote:
> >
> > I'm sorry, but I don't see how this is anywhere near acceptable. This
> > should be a panic at the very least, and until this can be sorted out
> > and avoided the driver should avoid using DMA on these chips.
>
> A panic won't help get the debug logs out of the kernel.

Indeed, but it will avoid corrupting the system.

> This only
> turned up whilst debugging the controller, I got the timeout clock
> calculation wrong and thus ended up timing out pretty much all the
> CMD25s and seeing this problem.

Just because you had to provoke it doesn't mean it won't appear under
"normal" circumstances for others.

Until this problem is fully understood I think DMA should be turned off
(or possibly needs to be explicitly forced on using Kconfig or a module
parameter).

Do you have any contacts at Samsung that can help out here?

Rgds
--
-- Pierre Ossman

Linux kernel, MMC maintainer http://www.kernel.org
rdesktop, core developer http://www.rdesktop.org

WARNING: This correspondence is being monitored by the
Swedish government. Make sure your server uses encryption
for SMTP traffic and consider using PGP for end-to-end
encryption.

  Last update: 2008-11-19 19:43    [W:0.061 / U:2.468 seconds]