SubjectRe: Turn CONFIG_STRICT_DEVMEM in sysctl dev.mem.restricted
On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 15:45:41 +0000
Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
ules that circumvent that
> > protection.
>
> With your patch I get crap in the kernel I don't need. In every kernel
> including those on memory tight devices like wireless routers that
> don't need it.
>
> You are turd polishing, and what is needed is a shovel.
>
> Even if you want to turd polish there are cleaner solutions. A process
> with CAP_SYS_RAWIO can cheerfully bypass any restriction you try and
> place

because it can load kernel modules?
or because it can bypass the iommu?

the point of the /dev/mem restrictions is to not allow things you know
you don't need, while still allowing X to function where it can access
the crap it does. Now in Bernhard's case he DOES need them, so he
shouldn't use the restrictions.

> There are proper ways to deal with X, modern video cards and modern
> security models. They involve using framebuffer mappings off the PCI
> device node itself and DRI.

when X has this for all hw that matters /dev/mem could go away for the
people who then no longer have any need for it.

visit http://www.lesswatts.org

  Last update: 2008-11-16 17:05    [W:0.061 / U:0.436 seconds]