    SubjectRe: ACPI: EC: GPE storm detected, transactions will use polling mode
    Date
    On Saturday, 15 of November 2008, Justin Mattock wrote:
    > On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 4:06 AM, Alan Jenkins
    > <alan-jenkins@tuffmail.co.uk> wrote:
    > > Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

    > >> Yes, the "transaction in interrupt context" patch fixed that IIRC and the
    > >> one
    > >> of the patches in the recet ACPI merge broke it again.
    > >>
    > >> Justin, can you see if reverting one or more of the following commits
    > >> helps:
    > >>

    > >> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=8517934ef6aaa28d6e055b98df65b31cedbd1372
    > >>
    > >> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=06cf7d3c7af902939cd1754abcafb2464060cba8
    > >>
    > >> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=0b7084ac67fb84f0cf2f8bc02d7e0dea8521dd2d
    > >>
    > >> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=a2f93aeadf97e870ff385030633a73e21146815d
    > >>
    > >> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=dd15f8c42af09031e27da5b4d697ce925511f2e1
    > >>
    > >> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=f8248434e6a11d7cd314281be3b39bbcf82fc243
    > >>
    > >> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=1cfe62c8010ac56e1bd3827e30386a87cc2f3594
    > >>
    > >> (please revert in this order)?
    > >>

    > > Be aware there's a real possibility this was only a cosmetic fix (and
    > > regression).
    > >
    > > I think the original GPE storm avoidance printed that message by default.
    > > Then the "transaction in interrupt context" made the message into a
    > > pr_debug(), - i.e. disabled it by default. And then my "make messages more
    > > useful when GPE storm is detected" re-enabled it.
    > >
    > > IIRC, this flip-flopping is contained within 2.6.28-rc. I.e. I don't think
    > > it will show up as a (cosmetic) regression when jumping straight from 2.6.27
    > > to 2.6.28. Though I suspect it will shows up between certain versions of
    > > -stable.
    > >
    > > Regards
    > > Alan
    > >

    > O.K. I think I was wrong about stating
    > this was not caused by the discharging and charging of the battery.
    > to retrace my steps
    > yesterday I pulled, then recompiled, then
    > let the system idle for a few, then once I moved the computer to the
    > other room,(unplugged/plugged the A/C adapter)
    > the light turned orange on the A/C adapter then once
    > the battery became fully charged(green light on A/C adapter)
    > the gpe storm was triggered. Once I saw the gpe storm, I rebooted
    > (under the impression the battery was in a good state),
    > instantly the gpe storm was triggered. leading me
    > to beleive this was something else.
    > So after seeing that and sending a post I used the
    > acpi_osi=Darwin option sat had a beer and worried about it tomorrow.
    > Now when I woke up, and saw the commits from rafael(thanks for the help)
    > I decided to make sure this was reproducible, So removing the acpi_osi option,
    > then let the system idled. To my amazement the
> [...]

    Well, you have only one
    "ACPI: EC: GPE storm detected, transactions will use polling mode" message in
    the log, so the EC code seems to work as expected and you _really_ have an
    interrupt storm that is worked around.

    Not sure what's causing it to happen, though.

    Thanks,
    Rafael

      Last update: 2008-11-15 20:17    [W:0.032 / U:9.296 seconds]