SubjectRe: [Bug #11875] radeonfb lockup in .28-rc (bisected)

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> In any case, I doesn't seem to be directly related to those radeonfb
> changes, though a clash with X like that is indeed more likely to
> actually happen if radeonfb relies more heavily on acceleration.

Just a silly question, without actually looking at the code - since you
now do acceleration in radeonfb, do you wait for everything to drain
before you switch consoles?

There could be races that depend on timing, where perhaps X is unhappy
about being entered with the acceleration engine busy, or conversely the
radeonfb code is unhappy about perhaps some still-in-progress X thing that
hasn't been synchronously waited for..

Before, radeonfb_imageblit() would always end up doing a
"radeon_engine_idle()", so in practice, I think just about any fbcon
access ended up idling the engine. Now, we can probably do a lot more
without syncronizing - maybe there's insufficient synchronization at the
switch-over from X to text-mode or vice versa?

Linus

  Last update: 2008-11-11 03:51    [W:0.140 / U:1.948 seconds]